BUILDING INSPECTIONS, PLANNING AND ZONING
Located in: City Hall
501 Park Road
Pleasant Grove, AL 35127
Telephone: (205) 744-1726
Fax # (205) 744-9556
Doug Hyche, Building Inspector
Pam Johnson, Licensing and Permit Clerk
Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Friday
- This office issues business licenses and permits for all residential and commercial work within the City of Pleasant Grove.
- All plans for new building construction, additions, repairs, basement conversions and renovations to exiting buildings, as well as plans for decks, garages, signs, fences, sprinkler systems, pools, and accessory structures are approved at this office.
- Permits will be issued and payment accepted in the form of check or cash only at this office upon approval of plans.
- The City of Pleasant Grove has adopted the 2015 International Building and Residential Codes, 2015 Plumbing, Gas, Fire and Mechanical Code and the 2014 National Electrical Code.
- Residential building plans are generally approved within seventy-two (72) hours of receipt, excluding weekends and holidays. Plans will not be reviewed until all required documentation is submitted. Required documents include the permit application, one set of building plans, a plot plan showing the location of the improvement with distances to lot lines, the sanitary sewer or septic tank permit and a Storm Water Management or ADEM permit. SWMA permit can be downloaded from this link
- Inspections of work performed are scheduled through the inspections office. No inspection will be scheduled for work done without a permit. Inspections are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Some inspections require that the contractor be on site for the inspection.
- Builders working in the City of Pleasant Grove for the first time are requested to schedule a meeting with the inspections department to go over procedures and requirements. Jobs over $10,000 require a State of Alabama Home Builders license. Plumbers, electricians, gas fitters and HVAC contractors must submit respective state master cards.
- This office inspects the installation of public infrastructure within new commercial and residential subdivision developments in compliance with an approved development plan.
- A Certificate of Occupancy will be issued and utilities released for service upon completion of final inspections and the licensing and permitting of all contractors and subcontractors for each contract performed.
- All planning and zoning requests are handled by this office.
- The City of Pleasant Grove Fire Marshall will review plans and perform inspections on commercial, business and health care facilities where fire suppression systems are to be installed.
- Address changes/corrections are made in this office.
The Business license application and all permit applications are available on the website.